The BT Home Hub project is now almost finished, its just the last few quirks to work out and fix. For the last time, I’ve added a new module to my monitoring dashboard which allows me to see usage against time.
While checking out whether this page was working, I noticed an interesting spike in both sent and received traffic…
With the mechanics somewhat decided on, the control circuitry was the next on the list. After ‘mastering’ radio control, temperature sensing and internet connectivity, I was pretty well versed with the Arduino ecosphere, and felt pretty comfortable making my own PCBs with the help of OSHPark.
I felt the tank needed multiple separate boards, not only to compartmentalize functionality but to work around the maximum board size in the free version of Eagle I was using to design the circuit boards. After much deliberation, I settled on 4 boards; control, connectivity, LED, and power.
I’ve been working on collecting BT Home Hub 5A usage by connecting with PHP + cURL and extracting data from the status page. The last piece of the puzzle is figuring out the roll-over point of the data counter; it resets when it reaches a high enough level.
I collected data every second for a few hours while repeatedly downloading linux torrents (I have unlimited usage) and here are my results.